Thursday, February 20, 2014

What I did last year

Last October I went to NYC, the 20th anniversary of my infamous original ride to NYC to attend the Iron Horse Halloween extravaganza. I was curious if I could beat my time against the ill fated HFB and a twenty year younger me. I did, by about two hours, but I'm much more seasoned now, and was riding a bike capable of handling high speed blast across the Pa. turnpike. But considering the shape of the HFB in those days, I can't brag too much. I attended the Indian Larry 10th annual party, (where I had to allow Andy Hogger to get me into the VIP party, (yeah Flynch who? Shame on you Bob Seeger) ran into Fab Kevin and KA inside, and listened to a great band do Ramones song, had cops chase off cars for bike parking and marvel in the fact that tweny years ago, there was so much parties and only a hand full of us hipsters then. Rode over to the Brooklyn Invitational, ran into Paul Cox, Steve B., and ChopperDave and Long Bike Freddie...and saw a bunch of people I knew who didn't recognize me, because I was probably not wearing rolled up jeans and the right facial hair. Yeah I'm trying not to bag on the hipsters or the Johnny come lately's, it's exciting to see bikes in NYC and see the east coast influence on the media, (the same media, all of them, who missed the infamous 30th anniversary last year of the AMF buy out ride which included the billboard defacing in Pittsburgh.) This was a great ride, and I froze on the way home and in typical fashion, I stopped at HD dealers on the way home to try to buy a heated jacket liner and got laughed at by most of the dealers, they openly admitted that their customers had already quit riding...this was the same weekend as the York Open House in Pa. The roads were full of bikes. Typical me.

No comments:

Post a Comment